Certificate III in Education Support
February and July each year.
12 months equivalent to full time.
All units of this course are delivered through a classroom teaching approach with a variety of support material supplied to facilitate self-paced learning. You will also be actively engaged in workplace performance and assessment work outside the classroom.
This qualification reflects the role of workers in a range of education settings, including public and independent schools and community education settings, who provide assistance and support to teachers and students under broad-based supervision.
Key features of the course
- A range of interesting topics including:
- supporting students’ literacy and numeracy learning
- child development
- helping students with a disability
- autism spectrum disorder.
- small classes in modern classrooms
- practical placement in a school providing hands on experience working with students
- supportive and well qualified trainers with extensive teaching experience in schools
- access to student activities in a university environment
- access to academic skills support and career advice
- pathway to Certificate IV in Education Support.
Who should study this course?
- those who are passionate about working with children or adolescents
- those who want a career in educational settings as teacher aides, integration aides and education support workers
- those who want to make a difference to the education of children and young people
- those who want to assist students with a disability.
Year 11 or above, Certificate III.
Applicants must undertake a Pre-Training review which includes a LLN assessment
Students are required to complete 100 hours of practical placement. You are encouraged to find suitable schools for your placements. ACU will assist you in finding placements. You will not achieve competency in a unit until the allocated placement hours have been completed and verified by the workplace supervisor and the ACU assessor. A current Police Check and Working with Children Check is also required.
Possible career paths include:
- education support worker in primary, secondary, and special schools
- education support worker in before- or after-school care
- pathway to Certificate IV in Education support.
RPL and Credit Transfer
ACU College recognises your past studies and experiences. If you want to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT), please refer to the student handbook and RPL/CT policy on our website for further information.
To apply for RPL or Credit Transfer, please contact your course coordinator and fill in the RPL/Credit Transfer Form (PDF File, 151.6 KB).
Units of study
Support behaviour of children and young people
Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
Assist implementation of planned educational programs
Contribute to student education in all developmental domains
Contribute to organisation and management of classroom or centre
Support the development of literacy and oral language skills
Support the development of numeracy skills
Work effectively with students and colleagues
Contribute to the health and safety of students
Support students with additional needs in the classroom environment
Work with diverse people
Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
Participate in work health and safety
Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
Set up and sustain individual and small group learning areas
Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder
Deliver elements of teaching and learning programs
The possible further study pathways available to students who undertake this qualification may include CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support or other relevant community services courses or course in teaching, disability work and counselling or student welfare or tertiary education.
Tuition fees and funding
In Queensland, the training is delivered with State and Commonwealth funding to eligible applicants. The payment method is a co-contribution model.
- In Queensland, please refer to the Certificate 3 Guarantee Student fact sheet for further information
COURSE FEES 2020 - QUEENSLAND
CHC30113 Certificate III in Education Support Fees and Charges
Enrolment Category (Funding status)
Total Cost to You
Full Fee for Service
Funded Standard Tuition Fee
Concession Tuition Fee
· This qualification is available only to applicants employed with and negotiated through The Independent Schools Queensland agreement
Amenities fee $300.00 or $150.00 for concession holders
- Offered in Brisbane campus of ACU College
- Certificate 3 Guarantee funding available in Queensland only
- Student Services and Amenities fee is applicable to all applicants
- Scheduled nominal hours is 805 for Certificate IV
- Textbooks and resources are not included in the fee and not a compulsory purchase.
- A “Student Guide to Fees” is distributed at all Information Sessions
- Each applicant must undertake a Pre-Training Review that includes an LLN assessment prior to enrolment.