February and July each year.
12 months equivalent to full time.
All units of this course are delivered through a classroom teaching approach with a variety of support material supplied to facilitate self-paced learning. You will also be actively engaged in workplace performance and assessment work outside the classroom.
This qualification reflects the role of workers in a range of education settings, including public and independent schools and community education settings, who provide assistance and support to teachers and students under broad-based supervision.
Key features of the course
- A range of interesting topics including:
- supporting students’ literacy and numeracy learning
- child development
- helping students with a disability
- autism spectrum disorder.
- small classes in modern classrooms
- practical placement in a school providing hands on experience working with students
- supportive and well qualified trainers with extensive teaching experience in schools
- access to student activities in a university environment
- access to academic skills support and career advice
- pathway to Certificate IV in Education Support.
Who should study this course?
- those who are passionate about working with children or adolescents
- those who want a career in educational settings as teacher aides, integration aides and education support workers
- those who want to make a difference to the education of children and young people
- those who want to assist students with a disability.
- language, literacy and numeracy skills at an appropriate level to complete the course.
Students are required to complete 100 hours of practical placement. You are encouraged to find suitable schools for your placements. ACU will assist you in finding placements. You will not achieve competency in a unit until the allocated placement hours have been completed and verified by the workplace supervisor and the ACU assessor. A current Police Check and Working with Children Check is also required.
Possible career paths include:
- education support worker in primary, secondary, and special schools
- education support worker in before- or after-school care
- pathway to Certificate IV in Education support.
RPL and Credit Transfer
ACU College recognises your past studies and experiences. If you want to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT), please refer to the student handbook and RPL/CT policy on our website for further information.
To apply for RPL or Credit Transfer, please contact your course coordinator and fill in the RPL/Credit Transfer Form (PDF File, 151.6 KB).
Units of study
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
CHCEDS006 Support the development of numeracy skills
CHCEDS001 Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
CHCEDS003 Contribute to student education in all developmental domains
CHCEDS020 Support students' literacy learning
CHCECE006 Support behaviour of children and young people
CHCEDS032 Support learning and implementation of responsible behaviour
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCEDS021 Assist in facilitation of student learning
CHCEDS026 Deliver elements of teaching and learning programs
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCEDS022 Work with students in need of additional support
CHCEDS025 Facilitate learning for students with disabilities
CHCEDS031 Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCEDS024 Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education
The possible further study pathways available to students who undertake this qualification may include CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support or other relevant community services courses or course in teaching, disability work and counselling or student welfare or tertiary education.
Tuition fees and funding
In Brisbane the training is delivered with Queensland and Commonwealth Government funding for eligible candidates. In Victoria the training is delivered fee for service. Please refer to our fees page for details.
Applications direct to ACU College
Application for this course is made directly to ACU College and not through QTAC. For more information, please contact the office at ACU College ACUCollege.Brisbane@acu.edu.au
Please note: you will be required to complete a pre-training review before the enrolment. We will advise on this once your application is received.