This course aims to develop the advanced reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, computer and study skills required for further study at ACU, for Diplomas, Undergraduate Degrees and Postgraduate Programs. It will prepare students for the language, academic and cultural demands of studying at ACU. Students in English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry will develop:
- Comprehension, critical thinking, notetaking skills and vocabulary;
- Academic speaking and writing skills;
- Further knowledge of English grammar; and
- The ability to communicate on issues relating to their field of interest.
Start dates and campus availability
- 06-Jan-2020 , 23-Mar-2020 , 08-Jun-2020
- 06-Jan-2020 , 08-Jun-2020
- 06-Jan-2020 , 08-Jun-2020
Deferment, credit points & course units
No deferment available.
Students with a Student Visa will need to complete the program in minimum duration, study at least one subject on-campus each semester and must not undertake more than 33% of the program online.
- Unit Fee: $0.00 (2020)
- Average first year fee: $0.00 (2020)
- Estimated Total Cost: $1900.00 (2020)
Important Note on Fees
The Tuition fees quoted above are for commencing students in the current year who undertake a normal full-time load. The Unit Fee is based on a 10cp unit. Fees are reviewed annually.
Tuition fees for continuing students may increase by up to 3 percent each year for the minimum duration of the course as provided on your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). Students who continue to study beyond the minimum duration will have the relevant annual commencing rate applied to their fees for subsequent study periods.
Essential requirements for admission
Applying for Admission
How to Apply
English language requirements
IELTS overall score has met the minimum requirement, however one of individual bands has not met the minimum requirement.
More course information
In the English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry program, assessment is continuous. Students undertake a variety of assessment tasks, which may include writing an academic essay with appropriate referencing, leading and participating in a tutorial discussion, giving an oral presentation and taking in-class English proficiency tests.
Upon successful completion of EAP students will meet the English language requirement of most ACU Diploma courses, undergraduate degrees and postgraduate programs.
- Students with a result of 85% or above will meet the entry requirement for postgraduate Teacher Education courses.
- Students will a result of 80% or above will meet the entry requirement for undergraduate Teacher Education courses.
- Students with a result above 75% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 7.0.
- Students with a result of 65-74% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.5.
- Students with a result of 60-64% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.0.
- Students with a result of 50-59% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 5.5.
- Students with a result below 50% will not meet the English language requirement for any ACU course.
*EAP cannot be used for admission into all Law courses.
English for Academic Purposes: Direct Entry focuses on developing the English language proficiency and approach to academic study that students need to successfully complete university level courses. At the same time, it allows students to become familiar with their campus and the resources and services available to international students.
The assessment tasks are similar to those that students undertake in university courses at ACU and require students to use campus library resources, including subject-specific databases. Students have the opportunity to focus on their own area of interest, such as nursing or business.