The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice equips students with the knowledge, understanding and practical skills required to practice as a qualified migration agent in Australia. The course emphasizes problem-based, real-life interactive learning experiences. The Graduate Diploma is the minimum qualification for individuals seeking registration in Australia as a Migration Agent.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma and the Capstone exam administered by the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA), graduates may seek registration to practice as a Registered Migration Agent. There are additional requirements for registration as a Migration Agent.
1 year full-time or equivalent part-time.
Campus availability and study mode
Study mode definitions
Attendance: Face-to-face and/or via video conference, at an ACU campus or another location.
Multi-mode: A combination of Online and Attendance (including examinations, practicums, residentials, etc.).
Online: Fully online (including assessments).
Deferment, credit points & course units
- Semester 1 - Applications closed
- Semester 2 - July
- Average first year fee: $21600 Fee-Paying (indicative only)
Important Note on Fees
All costs are calculated using current rates and are based on a full-time study load of 40 credit points (normally 4 units) per semester.
A student’s annual fee may vary in accordance with:
- the number of units studied per semester;
- the choice of major or specialisation; and
- elective units.
The University reviews fees annually.
Essential requirements for admission
An applicant must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
International applicants need to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements as defined in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in any discipline; or
- equivalent professional experience in a relevant role.
*Disclaimer: The Course entry requirements above are for 2020 Admission.
There are essential components of a course or unit that demonstrate the capabilities, knowledge and skills to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course or unit. Learn more about inherent requirements and how they affect you, and explore the requirements for your course.
Applying for admission
The Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice is the minimum qualification for individuals seeking registration in Australia as a Migration Agent. Only Registered Migration Agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia. Upon successful completion of the Diploma and the Capstone exam administered by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA), graduates may seek registration to practice as a Registered Migration Agent. There are additional requirements for registration as a migration agent. Consult OMARA for further information.
English language requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English must have either:
- Successfully completed at least one full-time year of study in secondary or higher education at the AQF Diploma level or higher, where the medium of study was English, and have completed these studies within the past five years; or
- Have a current registration with an accredited body that has English language requirements equivalent to, or higher than, ACU; or
- Demonstrated completion of an English Language Test, as set out below, within the past two years:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Overall Score: 7.0, Individual Score: 6.5 in all tests
- Test of English as a Foreign Language – Academic (TOEFL) – from an internet-based total of 100, achieve a minimum of 25 in writing, speaking, reading and listening
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) – Overall score of 185, with a minimum score of 176 in all tests